for my lady with the silky night words.

eating alone at the table behind
my friend there, he sits
with an invisible glow
hot on his face
hot from the laptop desktop
hot, it's hot today, 
it's hot.

orange stains under your nails
orange oils sprayed across your skin
orange you smell 
orange you eat

cold on a fake summer day
his warm hot mouth reserved
only for lunch and
silence at his table
behind my friend and me
next to a barred emergency door
no windows, no light
no fork clinking on his china plate

your hero is so quiet
but his voice is
(when he speaks)
the orange you eat,
the orange you smell

on paper
in air
can you breathe for me?

through his mouth
smoking with words
through his hand
that holds you
by your neck so stiff
tracing your ribs 
your ribs trying tried
to protect your heart

your heart
your heart
can you breathe for me?

the way the
the way the hamlet slowly dies
the way new hamlets slowly rise

ophelia, whatever happened
to that cross you wore?
and wherefore 
that love you bore?
could he have you 
given much more?

only this, and nothing more,
merely this and nothing more:
nevermore, nevermore,
my dear lenore!

1 comment:

onehappygoluckychinesekitty said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH. JUNE.