i'm afraid of your smile, because it makes me forget everything else.
your eyes become livelier than i've ever seen them to be,
and everything else falls this way and that
to create the perfect physical portrayal of joy.
and yes, i am happy when i see you,
i laugh so much when you try your jokesters on me.
sometimes, you take it all away all too soon,
that i'd wish i could reach invisibly to your hand,
your sleeve,
and gently tug your entirety back to me.
i'd stare at the back of your walking head and body,
and murmur soundlessly for you to turn around.
my wish is for a delayed departure:
shoot me with something else,
anything would be everything.
not tonight, you seem to answer,
for tonight shall be quick.
and so your head turns
(but not your body)
just slightly,
just enough for your mouth and tongue
to pull out the gun
and fire-
i love you,
you say
to me
as i fall to the ground.

sometimes, you take it all away all too soon.

No comments: