in hiding

someone tells me 
another story,
different 
from the one you told. 
people can't decide
what's best for me.
(sometimes,
i wish they could.)
she thinks it's wonderful news,
and she
well, she disagrees.
(sometimes,
i wish i'd listen.)

i don't know you.
i hope you aren't lying.
if you are,
i hope you do it well.
i don't think anyone knows
but you.
and you seem to be hiding
something.
many things?
everything.

i fear
that feeling of perfection.
it's a good way
to gild grotesque pasts,
and uglier presents.
it's been used
to erase warnings of
whatever tragedies may follow.

who can i talk to?
who knows?
who knows
but you?
you,
who won't tell me a thing.
and i am walking
dangerously close,
wandering without a map.
i continue wishing
that this is safe,
that i'm not lost,
that i'm not fooled.

wishing, yes, but
wondering, still,
when would i fall
into the hole
that was made for me?

(why won't you
talk to me?)

No comments: