the point is

you didn't want to talk to me
when you shouted across the room
cramming words into a sentence
in a style too awkward for you.

you raised your voice
not for me to hear
because it was quite clear
we'd said our goodbyes
just moments before.

i'd turned my body to the exit
and had started walking
down and out
when i heard my name.
it sounded quite urgent.

the sound came from your mouth
your throat that had tightened up,
pressured by your frozen eyes,
pushed by your stomach,
your violent heart pounding on
its neighbors
and your body sandwiched
between your movements
took you nowhere.

word vomit.
my name was word vomit.

your face avoided that direction
and naturally, the only other direction
was the one i'd begun to walk in.
so as you turned away
your frozen eyes stuck on me
and you not knowing what to say
said my name
so that you would not be alone
in the middle of the hall.

a human shield
to cover your sight
and disconnect the tension;
but tension is not light
and i do not make you
invisible.
you revealed yourself
in truth, in nature,
as an aged infant
stripped of parents
and money and clothes.

you'd make yourself lonely
you'd breathe dead air
you'd hollow your chest
until you think you're sick.

we all make ourselves sick
and i blame you not
for deathly symptoms
but for your ignorance
of this widespread problem.

the point is
i'm annoyed
that my name
(that i)
was word vomit.

No comments: