grey.

dear mother,
there is no snow
on the streets of PA.

i wish i could laugh like i did
when people said
my hair was blacker
than calligraphy ink
when the sun still breathed 
on my good little head,
and take a walk,
and say to you, look,
my feet have grown,
my shoes don't fit.

"good morning,"
grandfather said
as he gave me
that oily doughnut, 
deliciously greasy
with pockets of air
(i didn't like it,
but i took three bites)

"good night,"
grandmother said
as she gave me
two big ripe dates,
maroon and sandy
with plastic skins
(i didn't like it,
i just ate one)

at lunch we held
our sticks so nimbly,
ready to fight
over his pork stew
with fatty bits,
and potato chunks,
in saucy salt.

then i would not
eat anything but
the fish's lungs,
retrieving the air
he once needed,
and chewing on
its expired stink.

smelling of childhood
sweets, childhood dreams
and unabashed screams,
they have died
with grandfather.
they are dying
with grandmother.

dear mother,
there is rain now,
but the sky here
can be blue too.

when i have
one too many 
birthdays more,
promise me
you will not 
breathe in 
the grey,
and turn it cold
when you do.

No comments: