on a boat.

the wind blew past and i didn't know what to think about except for the fact that i am getting closer and closer to those tall, shiny buildings. the wind was strong. too strong for dad, who went down to the lower level to sit down, away from the wind that was giving him a weird rash of red bumps. i stood with my camera in hand, not finding anything worthy of a picture, except when she stepped up, a door away. and i turned the camera on and clicked, hoping she wouldn't turn around. she didn't. i thought, i brought this camera for nothing. and i felt the wind whooshing and flapping and running all over me as the shadows had run over me earlier on the subway trains. i saw them glide over the orange and mustard yellow and tangerine seats, on to the floor, on the poles and over at me, over me, beyond me, past me and away. when i wasn't talking, i thought. when i think, i think about you and whatever happened between us was probably of less weight to you than it was to me. naturally. the first is always the one we remember, isn't it. but funny thing, i don't think you were the first in all of the important ways. but perhaps my priorities have shifted in their seats and the last on the list climbed up towards the top that night. for some reason that i can't put my finger on. maybe that's why i talk so much sometimes. 

No comments: