you

i like you. in theory, i should like everything that you are. i don't. and i'm certain you know i don't like all of you. i know that you don't like all that i am, so on that note, we're even. but since i have enough of reality slamming my body and pounding my mind all the time, i'd like to pretend the theories of a perfect world actually do apply in our situation. 

i like you. i like everything that you are. and you like me too, for all that i am. we live together, and we learn to love each other, and it is something that is strong enough to make us accept all the new weaknesses and flaws we find in each other. and we love for a very long time, and can't imagine a time when we are apart. we don't have to imagine that, though, since we never will be apart. i write you tacky post-it notes and stick them everywhere, around the house, on your clothes, beside your plate on the dining table. you'll find one when you open your laptop. and another in your wallet. oh, i took a 20 to buy some groceries and dark chocolate chips for the cookies i plan to bake tonight. you will smile when you see all the cheesy things i do for you, and you'll play along. i will smile at the sight of you, and smile when your lips glide across mine, your scratchy stubble tickling my fingertips as i hold your face to give you an eskimo kiss. i'll kiss you with my eyes open. mouth closed. you remember everything i say, keep your promises and when an emergency causes you to break one, your apologies are the most sincere to reach my ears followed by the sweetest attempt to make it up to me. i tell you the nightmare i just had when i wake up next to you and you will be warm against me. you will tell me what you have told no one else, and i will comfort you like no one else can. you will watch my tears roll down my face and hold me close, and i will coax you to cry softly to save you from drowning.

in this world,  i love you. and you love me. whatever that means.

No comments: