face, or, fate.

when you look at me that way,
you look at a stray in need of a home
and someone's love,
if you paid attention to my face,
you'd see a hint of skeptic glare:
stop your sympathy,
stop your care;
lay me down 
and feed me cyanide. 
many people have looked
to fill their quota for 
good samaritans go to heaven,
greedy to do a good deed,
packaging words like magic pills 
that would
ideally
last forever.
they never read my face 
the way i want them to,
but maybe (says mirror)
this face grows uglier
the longer you look.
poor mother, to see 
her daughter become me.
can't be loved if 
you aren't pretty, but mother
never had that worry, 
had those boys chasing
quietly 
goddess of all untouchables.
she'd chosen a smarter man 
who could not love her 
the way she wanted to be loved, 
for he was lovely in a different way.
and like a princess trapped 
she cried, and tears drowned
her firstborn, lost in existence:
died before it cried a sound
or coughed once in air.
and thus the angered God decided 
mother's next and only
child would live a similar fate
lost in existence
before her eyes had opened,
frightened in the womb
and born with fear of life.
she would eat apples with a love 
for their bitter seeds,
tread waters 
with impulse to drown,
hold knives with blood 
dreams and sad things.
if you'd read her face and understood,
you would have heard 
her smiling eyes 
gurgling as they drowned:
lay me down
and feed me cyanide.

No comments: