corinne bailey rae & john mayer

i've been here
listening to her songs,
thinking for so long
about you.
('one for sorrow
two for joy'
yesterday, today, tomorrow
my heart feels like a broken toy.)
i thought my leaving
would brush your stardust off of me,
that the air would let me breathe,
and the sights would let me see
(things i couldn't otherwise perceive),
perhaps the crowds of hyper souls
could steer and take control,
and let me loosen and cool,
so that her oddly precise lyrics
(those small unintentional replies)
would no longer apply.
turning the volume up,
i listen now to his voice,
and i wonder if, as he sings,
i have your 'only heart,'
and had i my way and choice,
would hold your love in a (leaky) cup?
i'd like you to teach me how to dance,
yet i fear a day
when, at a glance,
the room will burn away.
dreaming of a day
in an impossible future,
a very pretty picture,
some special kind of torture.
'i don't trust myself
(with loving you') -
it's true and
something i cannot do,
yet i ask, so, so, so??
i look around...
maybe i made a mistake,
but i need a little more time,
up in this room opposite the raindrop lake,
looking for the answers i need to find.

('call me when you get this.')

No comments: